Friday, October 15, 2004

Why this obsession with V10?

Now Honda want to fight a proposed switch to V8 engines?

I must admit, I cannot see why. Formula 1 is ultimately about state of the art cars & engines. And, frankly, 3 litre V10s can crank a lot of power in the hands of a F1 engine designer. If Formula 1 sticks with a 3L V10 standard the only way to limit engine power for safety's sake would be to impose artifical limitations on engine design, which, in my mind, taints the whole "state of the art" theme of Formula 1.

I might as well go and watch some standardized forumla like Champ Cars.

I think the better solution to capping increasing engine power, while leaving engine designers free to push the limits of their craft, is to keep shrinking the size of the engine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vinay said...

I think that its not so much a case of being obsessed but more a case of a business strategy of sorts. Teams have probably already sunk lots of money in to the development of engines and car bodies for future years. Changing engine types will null and void all that research and cost. A change in engine will bring about a necessary change in an F1 body and chassis and therefore all the bits and components. Thats going to be almost a complete overhaul of what an F1 car currently is. I believe that its these considerations over all else that is making teams fight to keep the V10 alive for as long as possible.

21 October 2004 at 15:17

 

Post a Comment

<< Home